Thursday, June 2, 2022

Harvest Time

_____________________________________________________

While the Lumber Index is showing great promise for a reduction of lumber prices we're wait for this to actually show up in the lumber stores. In the meantime, my attention has turned to outside work. The past week or two I've been concentrating on land/lawn issues in something of a "pioneer" fashion.  In short I've been collecting rocks.

When I gardened in town, I often collected 7 or so wheelbarrows of stone/rocks out of a 1200-1500 sq foot garden...each spring...and again each fall as I roto-tilled and raked. Small ones.

Here at 12 Monks Hill I'm forced to dig them up. (They create significant disagreeable encounters with the John Deere.)  I was able to walk most of the property to be cut last fall and collect a number of them.  I started piling them up waiting to decide their ultimate fate.

I'm beginning to understand why the farmers of old built stone fence rows. It was easier to leave them close to where they were harvested.

Currently in need of topsoil to fill these holes, the neighbor has offered his massive pile of fill for my use.  

So that, of course, means I will need to buy a wagon for the tractor. 

Oh boy! More toys!!!

Some of these are so big, even though I've dug them out by hand and struggled to get them out of the hole, I find myself unwilling/unable to get them to move any further.  And so, some will likely just stay where they are.

I've managed to clear about 1 1/2 acres for mowing although stones still seem to magically appear at the strangest and most inconvenient of times.  I've started working on areas that haven't been mown in years such as the cute section around the garden shed (former horse run-in) seen below.

And so now, in addition to waiting for lumber prices to come down we're also waiting for another excavator to come in and dig a swale behind the house (to dry out) the land behind the house.  And then we'll brush hog the hillside and the stone/rock removal can begin back there.

The current swale (seen mid pic) was cut too close to the house(for our desires). But then, less dry ground means less grass to cut and when you're dealing with a former hunting camp you get it. Who wants to cut lawn when your at camp?

And so we continue this work on our own "Old House" as the Lord provides the time and resources, making the house a home.  

Soli Deo Gloria! 



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mostly, kinda', sorta'...

And the kitchen is mostly, kinda', sorta' done.  Battens have been cut, oiled and installed on the ceiling. The countertops arrived ...